Prep Time: 10 min
Servings: 6 people
2 lbs fresh broccoli, rinsed, bottom end removed & chopped in large pieces
1 ½ quarts regular strength chicken broth
½ teaspoon white pepper
1 Tablespoon lemon zest
Salt to taste
2 Tablespoons butter
¼ cup heavy cream (optional)
1. In a large pot, bring the chicken stock and white pepper to a boil.
2. Add broccoli. Turn down the heat to a simmer and cook until just tender but still bright green.
3. Drain the broccoli in a colander over a saucepan to catch the broth.
4. Place the broccoli in a blender in batches if necessary, with enough of the broth to help the mixture puree smoothly. Pulse until the broccoli is smooth.
5. Return the pureed broccoli to the broth.
6. Add the butter, lemon zest and heat just until until hot over medium heat. Add salt to taste.
7. Remove from the heat and add the cream if using.